English Language Lessons

English Language Lessons
*Politically Incorrect Opinion Texts: https://drjamesmanos.blogspot.com/2022/03/politically-incorrect-opinion-texts-of.html *Τexts with Ηealth-related Τopics: https://mymedicaltexts.blogspot.com *Herbs & Supplements: https://herbsanddietarysupplementsdatabase.blogspot.com *Source for the image (free to use): Hypothetical flag quartering the British and American flags (January 11, 2009). Author: Lunar Dragoon. Source: Wikipedia Link: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:UK-US_flag.png

Sunday, September 29, 2019

TIPS for English (o) Phrasal verbs (2) (list - alphabetically)

List of Common Phrasal verbs (alphabetically)



(scroll down to read the phrasal verbs) 




































































phrasal verb
meaning
example
ask somebody out
invite on a date
David asked Mary out to dinner.
ask around
ask many people the same question
asked around, but nobody has seen my wallet.
add up to something
equal
Your purchases add up to $250.00.
back something up
reverse
You'll have to back up your car so I can get out.
back somebody up
support
My family backed me up over my decision to quit my job.
blow up
explode
The racing car blew up after it crashed into the fence.
blow something up
add air
We have to blow 50 balloons up for the party.
break down
stop functioning (vehicle, machine)
Yesterday our car broke down on the side of the highway
break down
get upset
The woman broke down when the doctor told her that her husband had died.
break something down
divide into smaller parts
Our teacher broke the final project down into four separate parts.
force entry to a building
Somebody broke in last night and stole us.
break into something
enter forcibly
The firemen had to break into the room to rescue the woman.
break something in
wear something a few times so that it doesn't look or feel new
I must break these sneakers in before we run the Marathon next week.
break in
interrupt
The TV broke in to broadcast the news of the politician’s death.
break up
end a relationship

disintegrate or disperse.

(of a gathering or collective) disband; end.

My boyfriend and I broke up recently

The grey clouds had begun to break up

After about an hour, the meeting broke up

break up
start laughing (informal)
The kids just broke up when they saw the clown
break out of
Escape from prison
The prisoners broke out of jail.
break out in something
develop a skin condition
broke out in a rash after my trip to Africa
bring somebody down
make unhappy
This sad movie is bringing me down.
bring somebody up
raise a child
My grandparents brought me up after my parents died.
bring something up
start talking about a subject
My brother walks out of the room when my father brings up the movie he saw
bring something up
vomit
He drank so much that he brought his lunch up in the toilet.
call around
phone many different places or people
We called around, but we couldn’t find the technician we needed.
call somebody back
return a phone call
called my mother back to check if she was OK
call something off
cancel
called the wedding off
call on somebody
ask for an answer or opinion
The professor called on me for the exercise in Maths.
call on somebody
visit somebody
called on her in the morning, but she wasn't home.
call somebody up
phone
Give me your cell phone number, and I will soon call you up 
calm down
relax after being angry
You need to calm down before you speak to her
catch up
get to the same point as somebody else
You'll have to walk faster if you want to catch up with them
check in
arrive and register at a hotel or airport
We will check in at the hotel/ airport tomorrow morning
check out
leave a hotel
We have to check out of the hotel before 9 am.
check somebody/ something out
look at carefully, investigate
Our company checks out all new employees.
check out somebody/ something
look at (informal)
Check out the frizzy (= (of hair) very curly and not smooth or shiny (*)) hair on that woman!
cheer up
become happier
She cheered up when she saw the kids
cheer somebody up
make happier
I brought you a gift to cheer you up.
chip in
Help

Contribute something as one's share of a joint activity, cost, etc.


(informal) Make an interjection; interject

If everyone chips in, we can tidy our house by noon

John chipped in with eight saves and four wins
The council will chip in a further $40,000 a year


(with direct speech) ‘He's right,’ Helen chipped in

clean something up
tidy, clean
I asked the kids to clean up their bedroom
come across something
find unexpectedly
Yesterday I came across an old friend
come apart
separate
My shoes are coming apart at the seams (seam (pronounced siːm) = a line where two things join, especially a line of sewing joining two pieces of cloth or leather (*)) 
come down with something
become sick
came down with flu.
come forward
volunteer for a task or to give evidence
Two witnesses have come forward with information.

come from someplace
originate in
This china art comes from Asia.
count on somebody/ something
rely on
I am counting on you to help me with my project
cross something out
draw a line through
crossed out the student’s mistake
cut back on something
consume less
My doctor wants me to cut back on sweets because I am diabetic
cut something down
make something fall to the ground
cut the tree in my yard down after the storm.
cut in
interrupt
The kids cut in while I was dancing with my wife
cut in
pull in too closely in front of another vehicle
The truck driver got angry when that car cut in.
cut in
(of an engine or electrical device) start operating
Emergency generators cut in
cut something off
remove with something sharp
The doctors cut off his leg because of frostbite
cut something off
stop providing
The gas company cut off my gas supply because I didn't pay the bill.
cut somebody off
take out of a will
My grandparents cut my brother off after their quarrel
cut something out
remove part of something (usually with scissors and paper)
cut the actor’s photo out  of the magazine (pronounced ˌmæɡ.əˈziːn) 
do somebody/ something over
beat up, ransack ((pronounced ˈræn.sæk) = to search a place or container violently and carelessly (*)) (British English, informal)
They said they would do me over if I refused to sign the paper
do something over
do again (American English)
My teacher wants me to do my project over because he wasn’t satisfied with it
do away with something
discard ((pronounced dɪˈskɑːd) = to throw something away or get rid of it because you no longer want or need it (*)) 
It's time to do away with all of these old newspapers and magazines
do something up
fasten, close
Do your coat up! It has turned chilly (= uncomfortably cool or cold)!  
dress up
wear nice clothing
It's an official dinner, so we have to dress up.
drop back/ behind
Fall back or get left behind
The colt (= a young, uncastrated male horse, in particular, one less than four years old) was struggling to stay with the pace and started to drop back
drop in/ by/ over
come without an appointment
I might drop in/by/over for tea tomorrow
drop somebody/ something off
take somebody/ something somewhere and leave them/it there
I have to drop my husband off at work, and I will return at 10 am
drop out
quit a class, school, etc.

Not to do something that you were going to do or to stop doing something before you have completely finished 



Reject conventional society to pursue an alternative lifestyle



(Rugby) Restart play with a dropkick



dropped out of Math(s) because it was too difficult.


He dropped out of the race after 2 laps (^^^)




Without dropping out of society, I can't keep my kids away from the bad influences of junk food and junk toys.


However, Smith finished the game on top, forcing play to the try line and dropping out from the restart.
eat out
eat at a restaurant
I didn’t cook today, as I planned to eat out.
end up
eventually, reach/do/decide
We ended up watching TV instead of going to the party
fall apart/ to pieces
break into pieces

(of a person) lose one's capacity to cope.
Their marriage is likely to fall apart

Annie fell to pieces because she had lost everything

fall down
fall to the ground
The painting that you hung up just fell down 
fall out
separate from an interior
My wallet must have fallen out of my pocket.
fall out
(of hair, teeth) become loose and unattached
His hair started to fall out when he started chemo (= chemotherapy)
Her baby teeth are starting to fall out (**)
figure something out
understand, find the answer
I need to figure out how to open this.
fill something in
to write information in blanks, as on a form (British English)

Act as a substitute for someone when they cannot do their job.
You must fill in the form with your name, DOB (Date of Birth), address, and phone number.

My producer will have to have someone standing by to fill in for me

fill something out
to write information in blanks, as on a form (American English)

Give more details about something
A few seconds later, she sits down and fills out a report on him.

Further research will fill out these early findings
fill something up
fill to the top
I filled my glass up with Coke
find out
discover
How can we find out if she is married?
find something out
discover
We tried to keep our date secret, but my father found it out.
get something across/ over
communicate, make understandable
I tried to get my point across/over to my boss, but he was reluctant to hear me
get along/on
like each other
I was surprised by how well my fiance and my parents got along/on.
get around
To travel to a lot of places 
The UK last week and France this week - he gets around, doesn't he!
get away
go on a vacation
I am so tired of the drudgery (=hard, menial, or dull work) of work that I really need to get away for a week.
get away with something
do without being noticed or punished
He always gets away with cheating on cards
get back
return
He just got back from his trip
get something back
receive something you had before
Mary finally got her book back from her friend, who borrowed it
get back at somebody
retaliate, take revenge
My ex-girlfriend got back at me for cheating on her. 
get back into something
become interested in something again
got back into my book and finished it.
get on something
step onto a vehicle
got on the school bus.
get over something
recover from an illness, loss, difficulty
My mother got over the flu, and she is fine now
get over something
overcome a problem
The company will have to close if it can't get over the high taxes
get round to something
finally, find time to do (American Englishget around to something)

Coax (= to persuade someone gently to do something or go somewhere, by being kind and patient, or by appearing to be) or persuade someone to do or allow something they initially do not want to.
I don't know when I am going to get round to finishing my homework


You're not getting round me that easily!
get together
meet (usually for social   reasons)
Let's get together for a BBQ (barbecue) this weekend.
get up
get out of bed
The kids got up early today
get up
stand
You should get up and give the senior man your seat.
give somebody/ something away
reveal hidden information/ secret about somebody/ something
They gave him away to the cops
He gave away military secrets
give somebody away
take the bride to the altar
Her father gave her away at her wedding 
give something away
(in sports) concede (= admit that something is true or valid after first denying or resisting it (*)a goal or advantage to the opposition, especially through careless play.

The goal we gave away was a bit sloppy (= careless and unsystematic; excessively casual)
give something away
give something to somebody for free
The charity was giving away clothes to poor people
give something back
return a borrowed item
gave him back the book I borrowed from him
give in
reluctantly stop fighting or arguing
My girlfriend didn't want to go to the movies but finally gave in.
give something out
Distribute or broadcast something.
I've been giving out leaflets (leaflet (pronounced ˈl.flət) = a piece of paper that gives you information or advertises something (*)) 
give something up
quit a habit
gave up smoking
give up
stop trying
The gym was so tiring that I gave up.
go after somebody
follow somebody
I went after the burglar, but eventually, I lost him
go after something
try to achieve something
went after my dream, and now I am a doctor
go against somebody
compete, oppose
Tomorrow we are going against the best basketball team
go ahead
start, proceed
Please go ahead with your homework
go back
return to a place
I have to go back home as I forgot my briefcase
go out
leave home to go to a social event
We're going out for lunch 
go out with somebody
date
Ann has been going out with John since they met last month
go over something
review
Please go over your answers before you hand (= pick something up and give to someone) your IELTS answer sheets.
go over
visit somebody nearby
I haven't seen mother for a long time, so in the afternoon, I'll go over for an hour
go without something
suffer lack or deprivation
I like to give my children what they want, even if I have to go without
grow apart
stop being friends over time
My best friend and I grew apart after we graduated from college
grow back
regrow
My vine tree grew back this summer.
grow into something
grow big enough to fit
These shoes are too big for him now, but he should grow into it by next year.
grow out of something
get too big for
I need a new pair of shoes because I have grown out of my old ones.
grow up
become an adult
When he grows up, he wants to be a teacher
hand something down
give something used to   somebody else
handed my old school books down to my little brother
hand something in
Submit



Give something to a person in authority for their attention.

I have to hand in my project by the end of this week

The silent walk of protest will take place on Sunday, January 17, starting at the Pro-Cathedral   in Dublin at 1 pm and ending at the Archbishop's Palace in Drumcondra, where the letter will be handed in

hand something out
to distribute to a group of people



Impose or inflict a penalty or misfortune on someone.
The pub will also be doing street promotions where vouchers for a free drink will be handed out, which doubles as an entry form


Harsher punishments are being handed out to reckless drivers
hand something over
Give someone or something, or the responsibility for someone or something, to someone else.
Her parents handed her over to be brought up by her grandparents.
hang in
stay positive (informal)
I only need to look at the faces of my children to know why I hung in there so long
hang on
wait a short time (informal)
Hang on while I take my cell   phone
hang out
spend time relaxing (informal)
We are going to spend two days just relaxing and hanging out in quiet and privacy
hang up               
end a phone call
‘Thanks,’ she says and hangs up
hold somebody/ something back
prevent from doing/going
She felt that having children would hold her back.
hold something back
hide an emotion
held back my tears when I watched the Titanic
hold on
wait a short time
Please hold on while I transfer you to the human resources dept.
hold on to/onto somebody/ something
to keep something or someone that is important or useful
You should hold on to him; he’s too good to lose to a competitor
hold somebody/ something up
rob
Yesterday a thug held the bank up 
keep on doing something
continue doing
I kept on moving
keep something from somebody
not tell
We kept our relationship from our parents for two years
keep somebody/ something out
stop from entering
Try to keep the kids out of the living room, as I expect a guest
keep something up
continue at the same rate

Keep up the good work
let somebody down
fail to support or help, disappoint
You need to pass the IELTS exams. Don't let me down this time!
let somebody in
allow entering
Can you let the dog in?
log in 
sign in (to a website, database, etc.)
I can't log in to Facebook because I've forgotten my password.
log out 
sign out (of a website, database, etc.)
I just logged out from YouTube  
look after somebody/ something
take care of
I have to look after my children
look down on somebody
think less of, consider inferior
Your parents look down on me.
look for somebody/ something
try to find
I'm looking for a book
look forward to something
be excited about the future
I look forward to seeing you
look into something
investigate
I’ll look into the reasons for the decision
look out
be careful, vigilant ((pronounced ˈvɪdʒ.əl.ənt)= keeping careful watch for possible danger or difficulties), and   take notice
Look out for the traffic light
look out for somebody/ something
be especially vigilant for
Don't forget to look out for the kids
look something over
check, examine
Can you look over my homework?
look something up
search and find information in a reference book or database
When did you last go to one of your books and look something up?
look up to somebody
have a lot of respect for
I have always looked up to my father
make something up
invent, lie about something
The kids made up a story about why they were late.
make up
forgive each other
We quarreled, but we eventually made up 
make somebody up
apply cosmetics to
My sister made me up for my wedding
mix something up
confuse two or more things
mixed up their names again!
pass away
die
My father passed away from cancer
pass out
faint
It was so hot I passed out.
pass something out
give the same thing to many people
The professor passed the notes out to the class.
pass something up
decline (usually something good)
passed up the job because the   wage was low
pay somebody back
return owed money
Thanks for lending me $10. I'll pay you back tomorrow
pay for something
be punished for doing something bad
That idiot will pay for harassing my sister
pick something out
choose
picked out two dresses for you to try on.
point somebody/ something out
Direct someone's gaze or attention towards, especially by extending one's finger.
I pointed out a conical heap (= an untidy pile or mass of things) of stones
put something down
Record something in writing.


Suppress a rebellion, coup, or riot by force

Kill an animal because it is sick, injured, or old.

Pay a specified sum as a deposit.


Preserve or store food or wine for future use.


Land an aircraft.


He’s putting a few thoughts down on paper


The security forces put down a coup attempt in the capital



The horse's condition deteriorated, and he was put down

He put a thousand down and paid the rest over six months

I put down twelve quarts of pickles


The pilot had to put down in a field
put somebody down
insult, make somebody feel stupid

He put me down in front of my own employees
put something off
postpone
We are putting off our holidays for a week
put something out
extinguish
put the fire out before the firefighters arrived.
put something together
Make something by assembling different parts or people.
He can take a clock apart and put it back together again
put up with somebody/ something
tolerate
I don't think I can put up with my mother in law
put something on
put clothing/ accessories on your body
Don't forget to put on your new necklace for the wedding
run into somebody/ something
meet unexpectedly
ran into an old school friend at the party
run over somebody/ something
drive a vehicle over a person or thing
I accidentally ran over a weasel (= a small, slender, carnivorous mammal related to, but generally smaller than, the stoat)
run someone/ something through

run through
Stab a person or animal to kill them.

Be present in every part of; pervade (= when qualities, characteristics, or smells pervade a place or thing, they spread through it and are present in every part of it (*)).


Use or spend recklessly or rapidly.

Go over something quickly as a reminder or rehearsal (= a practice or trial performance of a play or other work for later public performance)
He threatened to run him through with his sword






A sense of personal loss runs through many of his lyrics






Her husband had long since run through her money


I'll just run through the schedule for the weekend
run away
leave unexpectedly, escape
The child ran away from the foster family (= a family that provides custody or guardianship for children whose parents are dead or unable to look after them)
run out
have none left
My car ran out of gas

send something back

return (usually by mail)

My parcel (= a thing or collection of things wrapped in paper to be carried or sent by mail) was sent back to me because of an unknown address
set-up
(informal) (usually in singular) How something, especially an organization or equipment, is organized, planned, or arranged.


An organization or arrangement.

These conflicting results may be attributed to differences in the experimental set-up or the organisms used.



It was all a great experience, I suppose, but I got thrown into the international set-up before I should have been

set-up

A set of equipment needed for a particular activity or purpose.


(usually in singular) A scheme (pronounced skiːm) or trick intended to incriminate (= make someone appear guilty of a crime or wrongdoing; strongly imply the guilt of someone) or deceive someone.

(usually in singular) (in a ball game) a pass or play intended to provide an opportunity for another player to score.


I have a recording set-up in my house


‘Listen. He didn't die. It was a set-up!’






The team may pursue a big-name set-up man, although I feel that isn't necessary
shop around
compare prices
I want to shop around before I decide on this purse
show off
act extra special for people watching (usually boastfully)

He was showing off, trying to make a really big impression
sleep over
(informal) stay somewhere for the night

A type of party when a young person or a group of young people stay for the night at the house of a friend (^^)

(Note: slumber party is a party when a group of children spends the night at one child's house (^^))
You should sleep over tonight if you are tired to drive home.
sort something out
Separate something from a mixed group.


Arrange or organize something.

I sorted out the lettuce from the spinach



They are anxious to sort out travel arrangements
stick to something
continue doing something, limit yourself to one particular thing
You will decrease your blood cholesterol levels if you stick to the low-fat diet.
switch something off
stop the energy flow, turn off
Could you please switch off the TV?
switch something on
start the energy flow, turn on
I switched on the radio to listen to music
take after somebody
resemble a family member
take after my mother. We are both stubborn!
take something apart





take someone/something apart


Dismantle (= to take a machine apart or to come apart into separate pieces (*)) something.


(informal) Attack, criticize, or defeat someone or something vigorously or forcefully.
I watched workers dismantling several ships and asked why they were taking the vessels  (= ships or large boats) apart, for they seemed to be very careful not to damage the integrity of the pieces.

Hopefully, some members of the opposition parties will take him apart.
take something back
return an item
I need to take the book back to the library.
take off
start to fly
My flight takes off in 1 hour
take something off
remove something (usually clothing)
Take off your clothes, wear your swimming suit and come with me to swim
take something out
remove from a place or thing
Can you take the garbage out to the trash can?
take somebody out
pay for somebody to go somewhere with you
My parents took us out for dinner
tear something up
rip into pieces
tore up my ex-wife's photos
think back
Recall a past event or time.
I keep thinking back to school
think something over
Consider something carefully.

He told the player to go home and think over his offer
throw something away
dispose of
threw my old sofa away
turn something down
decrease the volume or strength (heat, light, etc.)
Please turn the TV down 
turn something down
refuse
turned the job down because the salary was low
turn something off
stop the energy flow, switch off
Please turn the TV off when the guests arrive
turn something on
start the energy, switch on
It's too dark. Could you please turn the lights on?
turn something up
increase the volume or   strength (heat, light, etc.)
Can you please turn the music up?
turn up
Be found, especially by chance, after being lost.


Put in an appearance; arrive.
My puppy turned up after missing it for 1 day

He failed to turn up,   and the judge issued the present warrant (= an official document, signed by a judge or other person in authority, that gives the police permission to search someone's home, arrest a person, or take some other action (*))
try something on
sample clothing
I will try this suit on to see if it will fit.
try someone/ something out
Test someone or something new or different to assess their suitability or effectiveness.
I try out new recipes on my daughter
Plant them in containers, to begin with, so you can try them out in different positions.
use something up
finish the supply
The kids used all of the shampoos up 
wake up
stop sleeping
Tomorrow I need to wake up early for work
warm somebody/ something up
increase the temperature
You can warm your feet up in front of the fireplace.
warm up
Prepare for physical exertion or a performance by exercising or practicing gently beforehand.



(of an engine or electrical appliance) reach a temperature high enough to allow it to operate efficiently.



Become livelier (lively (pronounced ˈlaɪv.li) = full of energy and enthusiasm; interesting and exciting (*))  or more animated (= full of life or excitement; lively).


I always warm up  before I start weight-lifting
The band was warming up.




In a minute, I'm in my car with the doors locked, and the engine warms up





After several more rounds, things began to warm up in the bar
wear (pronounced wɛː) off
Lose effectiveness or intensity.
So, there is a curiosity at first, but it soon wears off.
After the effectiveness of the vaccines wears off, the risk of actual infection returns
work out
exercise
work out at the gym four times weekly
work out
be successful
My plan worked out 
work something out











(usually: be worked out)

Solve a sum or determine an amount by calculation.




Solve or find the answer to something.



Plan or devise something in detail (= plan or invent a complex procedure, system, or mechanism by careful thought).


(literary) Accomplish or attain something with difficulty.






Work a mine until it is exhausted of minerals.
Precise mathematical calculations are worked out, and this determines how a person's life is affected


I couldn't work out whether it was a band playing or a record

I'd say most of the responses lean toward staying together and working it out, as will mine.



Malicious ((pronounced            məˈlɪʃ.əs) = characterized by malice ((= pronounced ˈmæl.ɪs) intending or intended to do harm)) fates are bent on working out an ill intent


This became Europe's most important source of gold until the deposits were worked out by the 1760s




Thanks for reading!



Reference



For an extended list you may visit:


Online Phrasal verbs list 

http://grammar.ccc.commnet.edu/grammar/phrasals.htm

http://www.gingersoftware.com/content/grammar-rules/verbs/list-of-phrasal-verbs/

https://www.englishclub.com/vocabulary/phrasal-verbs-list.htm

https://vuonlen089.files.wordpress.com/2013/02/200-common-phrasal-verbs.pdf

http://www.englishlearnsite.com/vocabulary/150-most-common-english-phrasal-verb-list-1/

http://online-english-lessons.eu/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/50-common-English-phrasal-verbs.pdf

https://www.ego4u.com/en/cram-up/grammar/phrasal-verbs/list

https://www.easypacelearning.com/all-lessons/grammar/1219-phrasal-verbs-list-meanings-and-examples

https://www.espressoenglish.net/10-common-phrasal-verbs/

https://www.usingenglish.com/reference/phrasal-verbs/list.html

 

Reference – Links

(Retrieved: November 17, 2017):

https://www.englishclub.com/vocabulary/phrasal-verbs-list.htm

https://www.fluentu.com/blog/english/english-phrasal-verbs/

https://blog.abaenglish.com/25-most-useful-phrasal-verbs/

http://grammar.ccc.commnet.edu/grammar/phrasals.htm

http://www.gingersoftware.com/content/grammar-rules/verbs/list-of-phrasal-verbs/

https://vuonlen089.files.wordpress.com/2013/02/200-common-phrasal-verbs.pdf

http://www.englishlearnsite.com/vocabulary/150-most-common-english-phrasal-verb-list-1/

https://www.ego4u.com/en/cram-up/grammar/phrasal-verbs/list

https://www.easypacelearning.com/all-lessons/grammar/1219-phrasal-verbs-list-meanings-and-examples

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LUQfzO4tBSk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oUWTubehtE0

https://www.engvid.com/english-resource/100-phrasal-verbs-used-as-commands/

https://www.espressoenglish.net/10-common-phrasal-verbs/





                     


No comments:

Post a Comment